Top 10 Hacker Tools
By understanding how hackers gain access to systems, organizations can stay a step ahead and ensure information availability, integrity, and confidentiality. Listed below is Altius IT's list of the Top 10 Hacker Tools and Techniques:
- Reconnaissance. Hackers use tools to get basic information on your systems. Tools like Netcraft and PCHels to report on your domain, IP number, and operating system.
- Network Exploration. The more information the hacker knows about your system the more wanys he can find vulnerabilities. Tools such as NMap identify your host systems and services.
- Probe Tools. Some tools were initially designed to be used by system administrators to enhance their security. Now, these same tools are used by hackers to know where to start an attack. Tools like LANguard Network Scanner identify system vulnerabilities.
- Scanners. Internally, sniffer tools analyze network performance and applications. Hacker reconnaissance tools such as AET Network Scanner 10, FPort 1.33, and Super Scan 3 scan your devices to determine ports that are open and can be exploited.
- Password Cracker. Password tools are used by security administrators to find weak passwords. These tools may also be used by hackers. Password crackers include LC5, John The Ripper, iOpus Password Recovery XP, and LastBit.
- Remote Administration Tools. Tools such as AntiLamer and NetSlayer are used by hackers to take partial or complete control of the victim's computer.
- Backdoor. Backdoor tools and Trojan Horses exploit vulnerabilities and open your systems to a hacker. KrAIMer and Troj/Zinx-A can be used by hackers to gain access to your systems .
- Denial of Service (DoS). Denial of service attacks overload a system or device so it can't respond or provide normal service. Hackers use tools such as Coldlife and Flooder overload a system.
- Recover deleted files. Once hackers are inside your perimeter, they can use tools like Deleted File Analysis Utility to scan your hard drive partitions for deleted files that may still be recoverable.
- Web Site Tools. Hackers use tools such as Access Diver and IntelliTamper to index your web site pages and directories. These tools can download your site to the hacker's local hard drive. Once on his system, the hacker analyzes the web site to identify and exploit security vulnerabilities.